Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Structure of Arguments

The section about how to structure an argument was very helpful. I will use example number 1. It is , My neighbor should be forced to get rid of all the cars in his yard. People do not like living next door to such a mess. He never drives any of them. They all look old and beat up and leak oil all over the place. It is bad for the neighborhood, and it will decrease property values. I consider this an argument. I believe that there are two claims in this argument. I think the first one is when the person says " My neighbor should be forced to get rid of all the cars in his yard". I believe the seconf claim is when the person says "It is bad for the neighborhood, and it will decrease property values". I do not believe that this argument needs any additional premises because it already states many reasons as to why the cars need to be moved. There are a couple of subarguments in this argument. I believe the first one is " He never drives any of them". The second one is " They look old and beat up and leak oil all over the place". I believe that overall, this is a good argument.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that this is an argument. However, couldn't it be possible that the conclusion could also be: "My neighbor should be forced to get rid of all the cars in his yard." If it was this, the other claims would serve as support for the conclusion. You could then rewrite the conclusion as, "Therefore my neighbor should be forced to get rid of all the cars in his yard." The other claims would be independent and support the conclusion. I agree that the claims are pretty good, but they could also use some work, too. Just a thought of how you could do this one differently, also!

    ReplyDelete